Pest Control around Burnside Council
The list below shows the suburbs in the local council area of Burnside. Looking for professional pest control services? Please click on the suburb name where you’re located. Remember we’re just a call away.
History of Burnside
Burnside was inhabited by the Kaurna Indigenous tribe prior to European Settlement, with the natives living around the creeks of the River Torrens during the summer months and living in the Adelaide Hills during the wintertime. The area was first settled in 1839 by Peter Anderson, a Scots migrant, who named it Burnside after his property’s location adjacent to Second Creek (in Scots, ‘Burn’ means creek or stream). The Village of Burnside was established shortly thereafter and the Burnside Council District was gazetted in 1856, separating itself from the larger East Torrens Council. The council’s first chairman was Dr. C. R. Penfold of Penfolds Wines fame. Beaumont House, a historic structure, was constructed for the first bishop of Adelaide, Augustus Short, during 1851.
Wineries, mining and olive groves were the mainstay of an early Burnside economy; Glen Osmond boasted substantial mineral deposits and world-class vineyards were established at Magill. The first council chamber was designed by chairman George Soward and built in 1869 by Thomas Hill and William Yateman. The present Council Chambers were built in 1927/8 in Tusmore, with the council becoming a municipality in 1935. With strong growth and development throughout the region, Burnside was then proclaimed a city in 1943. The 1960s’ brought to Burnside a community library and a swimming centre, both were further expanded and upgraded between 1997 and 2001. Today Burnside is one of Adelaide’s most sought-after regions in which to live, the Council is in the progress of implementing its Vision 2020 plan.