Pest Control around Tea Tree Gully Council
The list below shows the suburbs in the local council area of Tea Tree Gully. Looking for professional pest control services? Please click on the suburb name where you’re located. Remember we’re just a call away.
History of Tea Tree Gully
Prior to European settlement in 1838, the Prospect area was a tiny part of the traditional lands of the Kaurna people, who lived in small bands across the Adelaide Plains.
To the new settlers, the locality presented a “beautiful prospect”, being described as “well timbered, with waving gum and shady trees”. Thus Prospect Village was named by Colonel William Light shortly after the colonisation of South Australia in 1838. George Fife Angas was given the right to make first choice of “country lands”. The area, under Light’s plan for the city and adjoining rural areas, was laid out as hundreds. These, in turn, were divided into sections, usually of 80 acres (32 ha). At a meeting in March 1838, Angas made his choice, selecting section 474, now Collinswood, and Rosebery. Later in 1838 further selections were made and six sections were purchased by the Mechanics Land Company. The company divided the 80-acre sections into 8-acre (3.2 ha) blocks, and sold them for £10 a block.
As early as November 1838, plots of land “fronting the new road to the harbour” had been created from subdivisions of the Hundred of Yatala in the new village of Prospect and were being publicly advertised for sale. These subdivided sections came to be known as Prospect Village. Early attempts to garden in the vicinity of Prospect failed as the soil is naturally dry, the nearest source of water then being the River Torrens. For many years blocks of land in the area remained unfenced and, in springtime, livestock from nearby areas were not prevented from feeding on the thick grass growing on the hills of Prospect.